Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Inhabiting Gratitude

A mother in Africa knows that there's no hope for her 6 month old who is dying of starvation. Mother's instinct drives her and tens of thousands of other women to walk with their children--and sometimes the children of other mothers--21 days in the desert for medical care, food, water.

I wonder how many people could eat off the food I toss out every week. How many people could drink the water I waste while rinsing my dishes after a savory dinner?

I suddenly find myself feeling... guilty, yes, but mostly....GRATEFUL. Grateful for every morsel that hits my tongue, for the all the bills I worry and complain about every 2 weeks, for the messy kitchen, the messy bedrooms, the crying baby.

If I have bills it's because I have a refrigerator with food in it, and a stove that I use daily to cook that food.

If I have a sink full of dishes and a messy kitchen, it's because I've mixed together spices--more in spices than the African woman has seen in food all month--and oil and vegetables and rice.

If I have to clean the bedroom, it's because we have more than enough clothes that they are spilling out of drawers and closets.

If my son cries in the night, it's because he's healthy. It's because he's nourished enough to have strong teeth pushing through his gums. It's because he knows that I can eliminate his hunger.

God has been grooming me for this. I wanted a heart that would be grateful in all circumstances, and now he has me on a mountaintop of gratefulness to see the bigger picture.

I know that eventually I have to come down from the mountain, but while I'm up here, I will make a habit-- a habitat-- of gratitude.

No comments: