Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Devil is a Hungry Lion and I am a Scrumtrelescent T-Bone Steak

“Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring in fierce hunger, seeking someone to seize upon and devour.” 1 Peter 5:8

No kidding! And right now I feel like I’m a fresh, raw, juicy steak standing in his path. For the last week or so, I’ve been feeling like I’m teetering on the edge of victory and destruction. I’m very aware that I’m only one bad decision away from destroying the work God has done in my life. I’m tempted through people, conversations, loneliness, boredom, even anxiety. I wonder sometimes if it will ever end. Will I ever be stable enough in my faith to not constantly feel like it would only take a slight breeze to knock me down? Right now the answer feels like “no.” Thankfully, that’s answered truthfully for me:

“And after you have suffered a little while,” (thank goodness, it’s only a little while longer!), “the God of all grace Who imparts all blessing and favor, Who has called you to His own eternal glory in Christ Jesus, will Himself complete and make you what you ought to be, establish and ground you securely, and strengthen, and settle you.” 1 Peter 5:10.

I’m going to cling to this promise right now, or I’m in trouble!

No comments: