Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I hate winter!


I've been in denial for as long as I could possibly be, but here's the sad truth: summer is over and the evil winter is upon us.

I began to think of the possibility of winter being around the corner when I turned on my heat earlier this week. As soon as I came to my senses, I turned it right off while exclaiming, "Now, who the heck turned the heat on?! It's summer!"

My second clue was when I put a sweatshirt and close-toed shoes on to go to the dog park. While there, I had my hands stuffed deep into my pockets to keep them warm. But all the while, I reminded myself that I had a SHORT-SLEEVED T-shirt underneath...only a layer and a half...that's like what you would wear for a stroll along the beach at sunset...(Reality: Or when winter is right around the corner. Denial: SHUT UP!)

Despite my efforts to deny the end of summer as much as possible, I was defeated when I looked at the dark sky, then at the clock, which told me it was only 8:15. Ugh! Up here it doesn't look like this until almost 10:00! And what is worse? We will lose an hour of night light in the next month or so.

I guess it's inevitable; winter indeed is coming. I'm going to stock up on good books and video games. In another month and a half I'll be sealing the windows and breathing recycled air for six months straight. I hate winter...apparently Willa Cather did too. Enjoy.

"The pale, cold light of the winter sunset did not beautify--it was like the light of truth itself. When the smoky clouds hung low in the west and the red sun went down behind them, leaving a pink flush on the snowy roofs and the blue drifts, then the wind sprang up afresh, with a kind of bitter song, as if it said: 'This is reality, whether you like it or not. All those frivolities of summer, the light and shadow, the living mask of green that trembled over everything, they were lies, and this is what was underneath. This is the truth.' It was as if we were being punished for loving the loveliness of summer." from My Antonia by Willa Cather.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I can't believe you hate winter! I love it so much, it's beautiful, peaceful and cozy. I am sooo glad we are able to go back to Maine this winter drink Apple cider and sit by the fireplace while it snows outside. How can you not LOVE that?
You can come here and live in a perpetual state of summer. It's 83 degrees here.

Alissa said...

I would love it if I could spend the entire time drinking apple cider by the fireplace, but unfortunately I have to crappy stuff like shoveling and walking through the unplowed parking lot to get to work. It sucks.

Honeybee said...

It isn't that I LOVE winter, but I do welcome the change in seasons. In IL the summer heat & humidity become oppressive, then fall brings lovely temps and beautiful colors. Winter relieves me of the need to care for yard & garden, then spring arrives fresh & green. How boring for Bryan's fam who spent 3 yrs in HI where the temps are always 70s at night and 80s in the day.

Alissa said...

Yard work, indeed, is tedious. However, I absolutely despise shoveling six inches of snow off the driveway every other day at 5:00 AM in freezing, and sometimes below 0, weather. Owning a home is not worth the maintenence if you ask me...

Anonymous said...

That picture depresses me lol... but at least we get to go through it together :P