Saturday, June 14, 2008

Matthew 27--I'm humbled again...

Wow!!! I just read this this morning and was floored. I've read about and heard about Christ dying on the cross so many times before, but this time was different.

When Jesus was mocked on the cross and told "If you're the Son of God, come down off the cross" he didn't say a word. He didn't come down off the cross even though he could have. Instead, He let God speak for him, and when God spoke, He did it in awesome ways, like tearing the veil in two, causing an earthquake, rolling the boulder away from the entrance of the tomb, and raising Jesus from death! The story would have been much less glorifying to God if Jesus would have said, "Fine! I'll show you! I'll come off the cross right now! Ta-daaaa!"

This reality cut me this morning. I can think of way too many times when I've tried to "prove" God with my words and arguments and rationalizations and commentary on His word. I wonder how much more God could have been glorified if I would have just kept my mouth shut and let God's word speak for itself. Wow...I'm humbled....

No comments: