Monday, June 30, 2008

At Home in GR

For a very long time now, I have been resisting making Grand Rapids my home. While I still hope to move back home to Indiana some day, I finally decided that while I'm here, I might as well enjoy it so that I don't miss out on anything. Ever since I made that decision, God has opened my eyes to all the great people here that make it feel like I'm close to family.

I would like to publicly acknowledge the following people:

Ada Bible Church! I love you! Ada Bible Church is an enormous church, but it's also an enormous family. From the first time I stepped foot in the door of this church, I felt completely accepted. I wasn't accepted because I was dressed right or because my life was perfect; I was accepted because I'm human. Thank you, Ada Bible Church, for being a spiritual hospital and not a country club.

Dianne Starrett, my small group leader. Dianne is a great example of dedication, thoughtfulness, and generosity. Thank you, Dianne, for sticking around for Bible study even when it was just the two of us. We've had some great talks, and I hope to have many more. Also, Dianne volunteered to watch my insanely retarded dog while I was working two jobs. Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have no idea how much pressure that took off of me during a time when I was barely taking care of myself.

Cheryl Lippert, my supervisor. Cheryl and I were the youngest in our department and so could relate pretty easily right off the bat. Cheryl has given me tons of helpful advice and had my back when I needed support, but also whipped me into shape when I slacked off. A week and a half ago, when I had a panic attack, she came over and cleaned my kitchen, stood outside when I needed a few moments to freak out, held me up when I couldn't stand, and guided me through to sanity. Cheryl is getting married in September and is moving away. Her last day at work is Thursday. It wasn't until last week that I realized she really has been a sister to me these last 3 1/2 years we've worked together. I will miss her tremendously.

Joel Rohne. Joel, thank you for being you so that I can be me. Thank you for driving me home when I was too sick to drive myself. I know you may have been a little worried about me puking in your new car, but you let me borrow your passenger's seat anyway, no questions asked. Wouldn't even take gas money. Thank you for the plate of food as well. I couldn't make it last more than 2 minutes.

Pieter Vander Laan. Piet fixed my lawn mower just 'cuz and wouldn't take any money for it. He also mowed my lawn while I was away...just 'cuz. Thank you Pieter! Oh, and I can't forget that Pieter opened his home to Union every Sunday for an entire year! It's not like we all just came, did a 30 minute Bible study and then left. No...my group, for instance, sometimes had 1 1/2 hour long Bible studies. Then, we'd hang out and play Guitar Hero 3. I bet there were nights when we weren't out of there until after 10. That sucks on a Sunday night when you have to work on Monday morning. That's hospitality that I'm not sure I am gracefully capable of.

Meghan and Rich and Rich's kids. Meghan and Rich had Bella and me over for a BBQ when my heart was freshly broken and I was at my loneliest and emptiest. Thank you for the great food, a great jam session on Rock Band, but mostly for your friendship. And I have to say, I'm in love with Lily and Richie. Those kids are smart and charming! They both have incredible wit and cracked me up when I didn't think I was capable of smiling.

Cathy V. Cathy is an incredible person. We have been able to relate not through similar backgrounds, beliefs, or even musical taste; we have been able to relate through the willingness to share our hearts. One thing that I won't forget is when I went on my lunch break and wrote a blog about how lonely I was feeling. All I wanted was someone just to be there. I kid you not, as soon as I walked in the building, face all red, eyes swollen, nose dripping, Cathy said, "What's your number? I'm coming over tonight and I'm bringing my baby, a pizza, and a six-pack. You don't need to say a word if you don't feel like it." Thank you, God, for Cathy!

There are, of course, countless others whose presence and participation are appreciated. Thank you, Union, for being so freaking cool and for being so accepting and so normal!

I don't know how much longer I'll be in Grand Rapids, but I know that as long as I'm here, I have incredible friends. God has blessed me with a family away from home! Thank you!

2 comments:

Joel said...

I wasn't worried cause I did not know you felt like throwing up, lol...I need to break in that new car smell anyway. :)

Alissa said...

Actually, I didn't have to throw up. I was just afraid you were thinking I did. Actually, I felt more like dying. I'm sure the smell of death would also not be a pleasant replacement for "new car." Although, I'm surprised the greasy cheese fries didn't do it! Oh well.