Monday, May 26, 2008

Dirty, filthy, no good, lying....!

Every time I hear a sermon, there’s always that one “thing” that sticks, even if it isn’t the main message. Yesterday, the message was called “The Power of Lies.”

(If you have about a half hour, you should listen to it. It was pretty powerful http://www.adabible.org/weekend_services/audio_download.php?id=119).

The most powerful thing I took away from the sermon was when he talked about how Satan deceived Eve; how he deceives all of us the same way by making it seem like God is holding out on us. “God didn’t REALLY say you couldn’t do that, did he? ‘Cuz, you know, you really feel like (drinking, having sex, swearing, etc.). It couldn’t possibly be THAT bad…” It makes me really mad that I have fallen for this simple lie over and over and over again. But then my Bible says that God forgives me over and over and over again. Why would he do that? Praise God he is “long-suffering!” It’s just so hard to imagine. I guess the closest resemblance of how God loves me is how my parents love me. I can’t count how many times I’ve disappointed them to a great degree. I’ve done things that I was sure would cause them not to want to call me their daughter anymore, but they lovingly claimed me as their own over and over again, and I’m sure I’ll keep messing up and they will keep claiming me as their own.

As I’m writing this, I’m thinking about how the Israelites kept disobeying God and how the kings of the old testament disobeyed God over and over again. My thought is, “Dude, just forget about it. They’re never going to get it.” That’s so human. But also, I guess I feel that way because I don’t know the Israelites and I don’t know the old testament kings. I don’t have a relationship with them. They don’t really mean anything to me, except that they are an example of what I shouldn’t be like. And that makes me wonder if my attitude about God’s forgiveness towards me stems from a deep internal belief that God doesn’t know me. Maybe I have come to believe that he doesn’t really desire a relationship with me and that he’s bailed on me because of the things I’ve done.

“God, do you really know how bad this is? Do you know that my thoughts are still so wrong and messed up? Can you see that I don’t really WANT to change? That a part of me likes this sin?”

My Bible says He knows every dirty little thing about me (Psalm 139). He knows my heart and that even though I want to do good (the Holy Spirit inside me, anyway), sometimes I’m more interested in being human (Romans 7:21). And he still wants me! I am his adopted daughter (Romans 8:15)! That’s the truth I should be believing, but I have chosen to believe the lies. I’ve chosen to believe that if I’m not pretty or smart or happy or sad or enough I won’t be acceptable. I’ve chosen to believe that I can earn God’s love, and on the same token, that I can lose his love. I’ve chosen to believe that if I don’t take action when he’s telling me to be still and that if I don’t be still when he’s telling me to act, I’m not going to be happy. The truth is that God knows me better than I know myself. He knows what is best for me. That means that even if I think I know myself and he’s asking me to do something that I believe is “out of character” for me, I better do it. If He’s asking me to do it, I know I can do it (Philippians 4:13). The truth is that God is not holding out on me. He has my best interest in mind, just like he had the Israelites best interest in mind. Just because he’s asking me to do something that doesn’t feel very good right now, I know He’s doing it because he wants something better for me. And I won’t believe the lie that “it will be this uncomfortable forever” either!

So, I had to ask God how I get my mind renewed. The answer is obvious: fill my mind with his truth—his word. I’m done being pulled away from God’s plan for my life because of the lies I believe. I’m ready to follow Him in faith, renewing my mind in Him every day.

Romans 12:2 “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

No comments: